Monday, January 5, 2009

First Day

Ok, this is more overwhelming than I thought it would be. I have spent a substantial amount of my day smiling and nodding.
To start off my adventure here properly, I had a night time visitor. I was laying in bed half asleep when, suddenly opening my eyes, I saw someone standing in my doorway peeking in. They just looked in and then left again. Thinking back, I don't know why I didn't FREAK OUT! At the time, I just assumed that it was the girl who lives across from me. This morning while I was getting ready, my prowler returned. Apparently, they do dorm checks here and that woman was not informed that I was not a student. She apologized and said that she came twice in the night-glad to know that I sleep heavy enough that anyone can walk into my room! She promised that should wouldn't come back tonight. I'm sure you are all thinking I am insane for not locking my door...well there isn't a lock! I don't particularly like that but whatever.
I have never felt so dumb in my entire life as I did today. I came here thinking I would be able to communicate perfectly with everyone but that is NOT the case! Oh well it is just the first day thing have to get better and I don't see myself going backwards in my signing skills.
Love from Iowa!
-Robin

3 comments:

  1. That is hilarious about being asked if you are married!!! I love it. But, take heart in that they apparently they think you are a really cute student teacher!! And, I LOVE that you got a student teacher sign!! Doesn't it make you feel like a real ed major? I think it would! I'm jealous.

    Of course it will get better. I know I have no authority telling you this, as I have never and will never do a deaf ed practicum, but you can do it! Seriously, you're the best signer of our year, and one of the best at augie..no joke! And don't let the abilities of the students and teachers freak you out- they've been signing either their whole lives, or as their profession. We've been learning for a year and a half! The fact that you are attempting this at all is amazing- I should know, I chickened out!

    Also- I had no idea you had a love of cows! Me too! I love that you have cow sheets...I need to seem them when we get back to augie! Keep updating, I love hearing about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks babe! And stop it! You did not chicken out! I know how much you wanted to do this and how hard it was to drop this major.
    I love my cow sheets! They are really cute and I will show you when I get back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love love love it! :) You are doing BEAUTIFULLY! It's a good obstacle for you to learn about students.

    Take it as a compliment... but show authority as well! :) It's my weakness while I was working with studnets... I'm their *singsong* FRIEND!

    *shakes head*

    KEEP IT UP!!!! AND KEEP BLOGGING!!! :)

    ReplyDelete